These activities go along with the movie War Horse, not the book of the same name.
War Horse Lesson Plans
- Before viewing the movie War Horse: Word Cloud Activity
- Guided viewing worksheet for during the movie War Horse.
- Follow-up activity after watching the movie War Horse: Compare/Contrast.
Order a copy of War Horse for your classroom:
War Horse Movie Online: Click Here to stream War Horse to your Class! $14.95
War Horse on DVD: Click Here to order War Horse on DVD $9.00 (BEST DEAL)
War Horse on Blue-Ray: Click Here to order War Horse on Blue-Ray $17.95
Is War Horse a Good US History Movie?
The movie War Horse is an excellent complement to any World War I lesson plan.
- US History Teachers should plan for three class periods to complete the movie War horse, along with a fourth day for activities and class discussion.
- War Horse brilliantly depicts the time period of World War I before, during and after the war.
- The battles are extremely realistic and show many examples of WWI era technology, weaponry, strategy and tactics.
- War Horse has the most realistic WWI era Trench Warfare scenes ever put on film. Life in the trenches, no-man's land, the use of heavy artillery and emerging tank warfare are all shown in the movie.
- War Horse has almost no strong language and zero nudity or sexually suggestive situations. War Horse is safe for US History Teachers to show in class. (rated PG-13)
- There are many scenes of violence including large scale battles, injured horses being shot, the execution of deserters and soldiers experiencing a poison gas attack. However, all of this is handled well and within the context of the time period.
Have you used the movie War Horse in your US History Classroom?
Leave a comment and tell us about it!
Was this US History Lesson Plan useful? Share it with your colleagues below!